Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Beef with Celery
· 1 lb. beef rump or round steak
· 2 tbsp. soy sauce
· 1 tsp. white vinegar
· 1 egg white
· 4 to 6 stalks celery
· 1-1/2 cups water
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
· 6 green onions, cut into an inch pieces
· 1 tbsp. finely chopped, pared fresh gingerroot
· 2 clove garlic, crushed
· 1-1/2 tbsp. dry sherry
· 1 tbsp. cornstarch
· 2 tsp. oyster sauce
Cooking Procedures :
1. Cut meat across the grain into thin strips 1-1/2 inches long. Combine 1/2 tbsp. of the soy sauce, vinegar and egg white in a medium bowl. Beat lightly with fork until foamy. Mix in meat. Cover and let stand for an hour in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
2. Cut celery into 1/2 inch diagonal slices. Combine celery, a cup of the water and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until boiling. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain celery. Running a cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
3. Combine remaining 1/2 cup of water, 1-1/2 tbsp. of soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch and oyster sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tbsp. of the vegetable oil in a wok (or heavy-bottomed skillet) over high heat. Drain meat and add to wok. Stir-fry until meat is brown for about 5 minutes. Remove meat from wok.
5. Pour remaining 1 tbsp. oil to wok. Add celery, onions, ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for a minute. Return meat to wok and mix well. Pour in the liquid mixture. Cook and stir until liquid boils and thickens. Correct seasonings.
6. Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish and serve.