Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pinakbet



Pinakbet is one of the Filipino recipes that I love to cook and a dish that my hubby likes to eat. He’s very fond of eating any kind of food recipes that contain vegetables. No matter how it was prepared and cooked. It is very easy for him when it comes with vegetables.

Growing up until college, I’m very picky when it comes with vegetables. I’m not fond of eating vegetables until I’ve met my hubby. He taught me how to eat and the benefit of eating this type of food. Slowly, I’ve learned to love and appreciate the taste of vegetables like this pinakbet. I remember then eating out on a date he preferred to choose food dishes with vegetables. He wanted me to learn to eat vegetables. It sounds funny but its true. Being with him, with the type of food he eats, I have no choice but to learn to love and appreciate the kind of foods he eats, specially this Filipino food.

Learning on things that my hubby loves especially on foods is what I enhanced the most. As the saying goes- "The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach". I’ve got the chance to learn more of vegetables recipes here in Canada. Away from home, we missed a lot of filipino comfort food. Pinakbet, an authentic Filipino dish is one of them. I also like Pork Chopsuey, Repolyo Guisado (Sautéed Cabbage), Togue Guisado (Sautéed Bean Sprouts), Sayote Guisado (Sautéed Chayote) and many other Filipino veggie dishes.

Thank God that there are Asian stores here where we can find some of our vegetables grown back home. smile

Ingredients :

· 1/2 lb. pork, sliced
· 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 onion, chopped
· 2 tomatoes, chopped
· 1/2 squash, cubed
· 2 cups sliced okra
· 2 cups 1-1/2 inch long cut sitaw (yard long beans)
· 2 eggplants, sliced
· 1 ampalaya (bitter gourd and/or bitter melon), sliced
· 1 to 1-1/2 cup water
· 2 to 3 tbsp. bagoong alamang (salted shrimp paste)

(Cooking Conversion Chart)

Cooking Procedures :

1. In a large, deep skillet (or casserole), heat oil over medium heat. Cook pork until it turns slightly brown.

2. Stir in garlic, onions and tomatoes. Sauté for a few minutes until tomatoes wilted.

3. Add squash and okra, stir-fry for a minute or two and then add the rest of the vegetables. Gently stir to combine.

4. Pour in water and add the bagoong alamang, and bring to a boil.

5. Lower the heat and simmer covered over low heat until vegetables are tender. Be sure not to overcook it. You may wish to correct the taste by adding a little bit of bagoong alamang. Gently stir to blend.

6. Immediately remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google